Do you know what is the BDS Full Form? The full form of BDS is Bachelor of Dental Surgery. BDS is a commonly used acronym in the field of dentistry and it is an undergraduate course in dentistry. The BDS degree program is designed to provide students with a comprehensive understanding of the structure, function, and diseases of the oral cavity, and prepare them for a career as a dentist.
Table of Contents
What is the BDS Full Form?
BDS Full Form – Bachelor of Dental Surgery
What is the BDS Course?
The Bachelor of Dental Surgery (BDS) program is an academic degree that prepares students for careers in dentistry. The knowledge, skills and clinical experience provided by this program enable students to identify, treat and prevent oral diseases and disorders. Students who earn the BDS degree are eligible to apply for licensure and work as dentists in a variety of settings, including general practice and dental specialities such as endodontics, pediatric dentistry and oral surgery.
Eligibility Criteria for BDS
To be eligible for BDS admissions, candidates must meet the specified criteria for nationality, age limit (if any), qualifying exam, pass percentage, and more, and also qualify for NEET. The eligibility criteria for BDS courses based on NEET are outlined below:
- Candidates must have attained a minimum of 50% aggregate in the 10+2 qualifying exam or an equivalent degree from a recognized institute.
- They must have studied Physics, Chemistry, and Biology as mandatory subjects in their 10+2.
- Admission to almost every college offering this course is based on the NEET result. Candidates must clear the exam’s cut-off to be eligible for admission.
- If the candidates qualify for the entrance exam, they must participate in the counselling sessions conducted by the colleges. Usually, three rounds of counselling sessions are held.
Applying for BDS Courses: Step-by-Step Guide
BDS is a popular undergraduate course in dentistry, and candidates must apply through the National Eligibility cum Entrance Test (NEET) for admissions. Here is a step-by-step guide on how to apply for BDS courses:
- NEET is a national-level exam that includes undergraduate medical courses such as MBBS, BDS, BAMS, BSc Nursing, and more.
- Aspiring candidates must first register on the official NEET website and fill in their personal details.
- Next, they need to fill out the online application form available on the website.
- After submitting the application form, candidates will receive their admit cards via email. They are advised to appear for the exam only on the prescribed date.
By following these simple steps, candidates can apply for BDS courses through NEET and pursue their dreams of becoming a dentist.
BDS Curriculum and Subjects
The BDS curriculum is designed to provide a comprehensive understanding of dentistry and related subjects. The course is divided into four parts: foundation, core, electives, and projects. Here are the subjects included in each year of the BDS program:
|BDS Subjects: 1st Year
|BDS Subjects: 2nd Year
2. Dental Anatomy and Dental Histology
4. Human Anatomy
5. Human Physiology
|1. Dental Pharmacology
2. Dental Materials
3. Pathology and Microbiology
4. Pre-clinical prosthodontics
5. Pre-clinical operative
|BDS Subjects: 3rd Year
|BDS Subjects: 4th Year
|1. Oral Pathology
2. General Medicine
3. General Surgery
2. Oral and Maxillofacial surgery
3. Oral Medicine and Radiology
7. Preventive and Community Dentistry
Note: The 5th Year of BDS consists of internships in all nine departments.
The BDS syllabus covers a range of topics, including Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics, Conservative Dentistry and Endodontics, and more. By studying these subjects, BDS graduates gain a thorough understanding of dental science and can pursue a successful career in dentistry.
Advantages of BDS Course
Good career prospects: BDS graduates have excellent career prospects with opportunities to work in private clinics, hospitals, research institutions, government organizations, and more.
Job stability: With the increasing demand for dental care, the need for skilled dentists is also rising. This ensures job stability for BDS graduates.
Professional growth: Pursuing a BDS course allows for continuous professional growth through further education and training.
Lucrative salary: Dentistry is a well-paying profession, and BDS graduates can earn a decent salary, particularly in private clinics.
High social impact: As a dentist, you can make a significant impact on society by improving the oral health and hygiene of individuals.
Flexibility: With a BDS degree, graduates have the flexibility to work as a dentist or pursue higher education in specialized fields such as oral surgery, periodontics, and more.
Entrepreneurship: BDS graduates can also start their private practice, which provides opportunities for entrepreneurship and business development.
List of Best BDS Colleges
It’s worth noting that there are currently over 300 dental colleges across India with around 26,000 seats available in both private and government universities. These five colleges, however, are often considered among the best for pursuing BDS in India:
- Faculty of Dental Sciences IMS BHU Varanasi
- Faculty of Dental Sciences King George’s Medical University, Lucknow
- Manipal College of Dental Science, Manipal
- Maulana Azad Institute of Dental Sciences, New Delhi
- Nair Hospital Dental College, Mumbai
FAQs- What Is The BDS Full Form?
What is the BDS Full Form?
BDS stands for Bachelor of Dental Surgery.
Is BDS a medical course?
Yes, BDS is a medical course that focuses on oral health, hygiene, and dental treatments.
What are the eligibility criteria for BDS?
To be eligible for BDS, candidates must have passed their 10+2 qualifying exam or an equivalent degree with a minimum of 50% aggregate from a recognized institute. They must have also studied the subjects of Physics, Chemistry, and Biology compulsorily in their 10+2. Additionally, they must qualify for NEET.
What are some popular career options for BDS graduates?
BDS graduates can work as dentists in private clinics, hospitals, research institutions, government organizations, and more. They can also pursue higher education and training in specialized fields such as oral surgery, periodontics, and orthodontics.
How long does it take to complete a BDS course?
BDS course usually takes five years to complete, including one year of mandatory internship in all nine departments.
Thanks for reading What is the BDS Full Form? Bookmark our website Whatisfullform.com to know or read our collection of full forms.