Do you know what is the IBM Full Form? The full form of IBM is “International Business Machines“. IBM is a multinational technology and consulting organization headquartered in Armonk, New York and is a trusted brand in the IT sector. Gini Rometty is the current CEO of IBM and the company manufactures computer hardware and software and provides infrastructure, consulting services, and hosting.
Its products include cloud, cognitive, data and analytics, and IT infrastructure and its services include business, mobility, networking, resiliency services, security services, technical support services, and various enterprise and business solutions.
IBM is a major American computer manufacturer and it has a significant market share both domestically and internationally and has its roots in the 19th century. The company’s offerings range from mainframe computers to nanotech.
Table of Contents
What is the IBM Full Form?
IBM Full Form – International Business Machines
Charles Ranlett Flint founded the Computing Tabulating Recording Company (CTR) on June 16, 1911. The company was formed through the merger of three businesses: the Tabulating Machine Company, the International Time Recording Company, and the Computing Scale Company. In 1924, CTR changed its name to IBM.
In the 1950s, IBM introduced its first production computer, the IBM 701 defence calculator, which was an electronic device designed for general use. IBM also created the programming language FORTRAN in 1957.
In 1933, IBM acquired the patents, tools, and production facilities of Electromatic Typewriters, Inc. of Rochester, New York. Two years later, in 1935, IBM introduced the IBM Electric Typewriter, Model 01 (Improved).
In 1956, the company launched the first hard drive, the 305 RAMAC. Floppy disks were introduced in 1967, and this revolutionized the process of storing and transferring information.
In 1970, IBM, in collaboration with American Express and American Airlines, developed the first airline ticket vending kiosk. Two years later, in 1972, IBM produced its first ATM, the IBM 2984.
Finally, in 1981, IBM introduced the first personal computer, the IBM PC.
Products and Services Provided by IBM
- IBM sells mainframe-class computers and positions its z Systems product line for enterprise infrastructure for its customers’ cognitive business.
- IBM’s Power Systems enterprise servers target big data and analytics applications, running IBM’s AIX and IBM I OSes, as well as Linux.
- IBM offers various storage hardware and software solutions, including FlashSystem all-flash arrays, Storwize systems, and Spectrum Storage Suite for software-defined storage.
- IBM’s software line includes analytics offerings, IT infrastructure software, mobile and social software, and security software.
- IBM’s service units include Global Business Services and Global Technology Services, which provide mobility, networking, business continuity and outsourcing, among other services.
- IBM’s cloud services offerings are grouped together around its Bluemix platform-as-a-service offering, and its bare-metal computing service enables customers to keep their custom or older operating environment.
- IBM Watson supercomputer is the company’s flagship cognitive computing offering, and it offers Watson APIs for customers to embed cognitive computing components into their applications.
- IBM has a research and development centre that has made notable developments, including the invention of dynamic RAM and the Fortran language, and currently focuses on blockchain technology.
The Big Blue and Logo
The logo of the company “The 8 Bar” was designed by a renowned graphic designer named Paul Rand. The logo consists of eight horizontal bars of different lengths, and each bar represents a bit of digital data. The logo has become iconic and is easily recognizable around the world.
Due to the usage of the colour blue in their logo and products, IBM is frequently referred to as “Big Blue“. Since the beginning of the 20th century, the corporation has used the colour blue in its branding, and it has come to represent the business. Additionally, the attributes of trust, stability, and dependability that IBM has long been associated with are represented by the colour blue.
Other IBM Full Forms List
|International Business Machines
|Interstate Bank Mart
|Compressed File Archive (internal Ibm Only)
|Incredible Business Maiden
|I’m By Myself
|Inadequate But Marketable
|Indian Business Management
|Intercontidental Ballistic Missle
|Military and Defence
|Internet Bandwidth Muliplexed
|Inconsiderate Boneheaded Move
FAQs- What Is The IBM Full Form?
Q.1. What is the IBM Full Form?
Ans. The IBM Full Form is International Business Machines.
Q.2. Who founded IBM?
Ans. IBM was founded by Charles Ranlett Flint.
Q.3. When was IBM founded?
Ans. IBM was founded on June 16, 1911.
Q.4. Where is IBM headquartered?
Ans. IBM is headquartered in Armonk, New York.
Q.5. What are the main products and services offered by IBM?
Ans. IBM offers a wide range of products and services, including computer hardware and software, infrastructure, hosting, consulting, cloud, cognitive, data and analysis, IT infrastructure, business, mobility, networking, resiliency services, security services, technical support services, and enterprise and business solutions.
Q.6. Why is IBM also known as “Big Blue”?
Ans. IBM is also known as “Big Blue” because of the blue colour used in its logo and products.
Thanks for reading What is the IBM Full Form? Bookmark our website Whatisfullform.com to know or read our collection of full forms.